Monday, August 4, 2008

Will Work For Food

After an 11 hour day, I drove home. While in my evening commute I spoke with my dad. We chatted about preparations for my trip to Morocco. We debated over carrying traveler's checks versus using a debit card. Stalemate. We talked about my health insurance through work, and his poor but slowly improving health. We spoke for 25 minutes... almost all of my commute time. My promise was to call him before I departed for my transatlantic trip.

Later, I arrived home I agreed to take my roommate to his storage shed up north to retrieve his bed set and miscellaneous crushed boxes and hole-ridden plastic bags. When we got to the storage unit I was not surprised we spent 10 minutes with his failed attempts to remember the unit/pass code to enter in the security key pad to open the gate. I wasn't surprised at all. He ended up hopping the fence to find the actual unit number on the door and called me on my phone to provide it to me to bring my car in. Loading the car was easy. I watched him do it. Placing the box-spring and mattress on top of my roof rack, and managing to tie it down with the short black nylon rope he brought and the spare twine I kept in my trunk was more of a challenge.

I've moved my fair share of mattresses. It's never an easy task. But 28 miles and 8 inches of give in the twine later we made it to Texas Roadhouse. On the way there he offered gas money or dinner... You know I don't turn down food.

I was productive this evening. I feel fat because I ate too much, but I was productive. Too bad I won't be going on a late night bike ride tonight!

1 comment:

Frogg said...

Did you just call me fat? I think you did! Yeah I think you did! I've got meals to use by Thursday!! Come eat!

E.