Thursday, March 5, 2009

Extended Weekend

As stated in the previous postings, I was in Oshkosh this past weekend interviewing for Graduate Assistant and Full-Time positions in the housing sector of higher education. The rest of my weekend involved an extended stay in Chicago.

While trying to leave Milwaukee, we were stranded on the tarmac for an hour as Chicago was being hit by a snow storm slowing the arrival of all incoming flights. When we finally took off, the flight was brief. Milwaukee really isn't that far from Chicago. When we landed in Chicago, there was a small glimpse of hope that I would catch my flight. However, this hope slowly chipped away with every minute we again waited on the tarmac. This time our delay was a result of our gate not yet being cleared by the departing flight. So, I missed my flight.

I did however get to spend the weekend with my dear friend and colleague. She is an employee at on of the institutions I interviewed with this weekend. She showed me around campus, as well as joined me in meeting up another close friend for lunch who works for the same institution. They kept me entertained before my flight left later afternoon.

Here I was preparing to head to the warm Texas sun, and leave behind the frigged cold, relentless wind, and bitter snow of Chicago. All the while in the back of my head I know that a part of my soul wants to spend the next 730 days, 17,520 hours, 1,051,200 minutes, 63,072,000 seconds in that place. Calling it a temporary home, and extending a sincere welcome for maturing adolescents to do the same.

Weird.

No comments: