No answer.
I look over to the coffee table and see the orange-striped Whataburger container with my chalky fast-melting chocolate shake.

Elisa and I had just returned from Whataburger, where I ordered said mediocre shake and fries. This combination on chocolate shake and fries was introduced to me in college. I don't remember the generous soul who clued me into the tasty treat. I do, however, remember that the establishment was the Wendy's on W. Michigan Avenue. And so, I now reminisce on the times spent in that niche of Kalamazoo, MI. I can only assume the majority of this blog's readers are from either Michigan, Texas, or California. So much needs to be explained about what I have spoken about thus far. So I pause...
- Whataburger is a native Texas fast food chain that started in 1950 in Corpus Christi, TX. Restaurants are found throughout Texas and a few neighboring states. Much like In-N-Out is in California.
- Kalamazoo, MI is home to Western Michigan University. My Alma Mater.
Zilla (Fraternity Brother) and I, Kristian and I, or pledging members and I would frequent that Wendy's. I recall at one time the Double Bacon Cheese Burger, or as Zilla would call out when he ordered it, "a double bakie" was discontinued. We were enraged! Surely, there are other things to write a company's headquarters about, but this was an important part of our lives. Luckily, someone came to their senses and brought it back. We look back on those times as a low point for us. Why? Because the drive through and dine-in staff knew us. We were there too often. I think Kris was the first to realize it, but we all followed suit and slowly distanced ourselves from it.
Across the street was my favorite Saturday or Sunday morning (a.k.a. afternoon) spot. Maggie's Campus Cafe, home of the internationally renowned Breakfast Stew. It can't be explained, only experienced. I can honestly say that with the multiple options in there menu, I hadn't ordered anything besides the Breakfast Stew.
The last memento I will highlight, at least in the post, is a staple in WMU's student life. Any former Kalamazoo resident knows already what this item is. It is none-other than the Den Pop. Now, they will also recall the 5 cent increase to 55 cents, which everyone found absurd. How dare we be inconvenienced with having to search for an additional nickel in the crevices of our vehicles or couches. But we got over it. This years incoming freshmen class doesn't even know that the beverage they now enjoy used to be a nickel cheaper. I had a Den Pop daily. During my internship in the Student Activities & Leadership Programs Office, part of my internship hours included gathering Den Pop orders from students and staff, nd strolling down W. Michigan Ave to the Den and back. Carrying them in an empty liquor box in the Faunce Student Services Building a.k.a the Birdcage.
Sure, I could reminisce about friends, events, or locations, but then I would be neglecting my first love. Food. Enjoy!
2 comments:
Some of the greatest things/people have come out of Corpus. Selena (a moment of silence please...amazing Tejano singer).....Whataburger. I would frequent the #7, no onions, Whatasized with onion rings. :) For those of you who do not live in Texas, the #7 is a junior burger. Yeah, that is about all I could handle. :) Love me some Whataburger. And..... me. :) lol. Ok, I'm almost as cool as the Whataburger.
If you ever get a chance to visit Corpus, you might just like it. Mostly beach and people just taking it easy....and a few sometimes taking it sleazy.
Reed--- that was some good eats at Whataburger. Kudos to you and your mamoth of chocolate shake!!
Dueces,
E.
God I miss Wendy's and the easiness of it all! I actually had a dream about the first thing I'm going to do when I get back to the states is to go to the Wendy's which is right across the street from the Gerald R. Ford International Airport in the lovely G-Riggity and order as many real American cheeseburgers as possible.
Post a Comment