Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The things we find exploring

My roommate and I went exploring an abandoned lot near our neighborhood. We came across it some weeks back when we went for a bike ride. We decided then that we would have to return to this property to take pictures and explore. As we exited my car when we arrived, he made some comment about feeling as though we were detectives about to scope out a crime scene. He's... funny like that.

Here is the most visible structure on the property. This abandoned house was almost to sketchy to enter.

On the side of the house was this one lonely window. The paint was peeling, the walls had holes, and this one window pane was broken.

Not everything about this place was bad, but then again, not all of it was good. It was evident that this place was used by squatters and druggies as evident by the used needles scattered about the floor. Certainly not a pleasant sight.

I paid enough attention in high school Physiology to recognize this as most of the pelvic bone, but not enough attention in Biology to identify the animal this came from. I think it's safe to say that it whatever it was, it didn't overdose using the needles from the previous picture... I hope.

Some sights on this abandoned property were great. Luckily, we were there just before the sun was setting which provided what I thought was great lighting for still photography. I'm no Ansel Adams, but I can pretend to be.

There were some intriguing pieces of natural-unnatural art. I've labeled this photo "Payback". The old Chevy truck has a tree growing from underneath between the bed and the cabin, right up that gap. It is such an impressive sight to see. I could waste a whole roll of film on this truck alone (... except I use a digital camera).

On the inside of the door was this registration. If you have the means, feel free to look it up.

This photo I call "Office Chair 2" ("Office Chair 1" being vertical). [The Office - Chair Model]

One of the last things I stumbled upon was this old magazine. It was missing it's cover, but I flipped open the magazine to this page of children holding rifles. I can only imagine how old these children are now and what they're doing or not doing with their lives.

I like to finish with a culminating picture, and I feel this photo captures our little adventure. The sun coming down and us breezing through the brush to get back to the car. There was just so much around us and not nearly enough time to photograph it all. It will definitely be a place I will visit again soon and you can expect more pictures.


That's is for this post. I hope you enjoyed!

Now get back to work!

2 comments:

Lyla Lou said...

So cool!

Reedo Burrito said...

Thanks! Sorry I hadn't been blogging regularly. Hope all is well on your end!